Stacy Sullivan!

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." Henry David Thoreau

Happy Friday!
 I hope this has been an arts filled week for you! Last night, I went to the Jacob Burns Center in Pleasantville to see, for the fifth time!, Carol Channing: Larger Than Life!  As much as I love the film, my main reason for being there last night was for the talk back session with director/producer Dori Berenstein and Tommy Tune, Carol's "spiritual son". The love Tommy has for Carol is palpable. 
A great night. 
And the audience reaction to the film has been consistent at The Tribeca Film Festival (twice), the Palm Springs Film Festival, and the Paley Center in LA. Audiences are loving this film. I've also enjoyed the numerous e-mails and phone calls from those who've seen this film.

This afternoon, I have a meeting regarding my book on the women who have played Dolly Levi, a rehearsal for my birthday show tomorrow night...hope to see you there!, dinner with Peggy Herman, and seeing Petula Clark tonight at Feinstein's!

Tomorrow, I'm having a photo shoot with Eric Stephen Jacobs, who did my Garland shots 20 years ago! Tomorrow night, dinner with friends, and the afore mentioned birthday show produced by Sue Matsuki! 
Happy Birthday to me. 
I am truly blessed.

I cherish the friends and the connections that I have made in the years that I've been in New York Last Saturday, I wrote about an entertainer who is become a very dear friend of mine, KT Sullivan. 
KT made the suggestion that I do a blog feature on her sister Stacy Sullivan. I have to admit that Stacy is one of the Sullivan siblings that I know very little about. In addition to, KT, I've had the pleasure of doing several showcases and or appearances with their brother Tim a very come accomplished country-western singer/ songwriter. Heather Sullivan has also done my last two theatrical photo shoots. I want to thank KT for this suggestion; it is nice getting to know Stacy Sullivan.
The first live show that Stacy remembers seeing was The Sound of Music when she was about four years old. Her dad used to tell the story of how they went as a family, and when he realized he didn't have a program, Stacy looked over and said, "Here, dad. Take mine. I can't read…"

Growing up, Stacy says the Sullivan house was always filled with music. They started doing family concerts when Stacy was five. But her life in the theater began when her sister, KT, took her to an audition at the University of Oklahoma when she was eight years old. The play was The Innocents based on Henry James's The Turn of the Screw. Stacy remembers being "in heaven", learning the lines, going to rehearsals, having all of these beautiful. Costumes made for her, and working with the wonderful director, designers, and actors. She felt like she had found her "tribe" with those artists. 


Stacy's first Equity job was doing summer stock at the Sacramento Music Circus with Leland Ball. They did six shows in eight weeks. Stacy says she'll never forget getting her first check as a professional actress. It truly made a difference in how she felt about her work.  She was getting PAID to do what she loves to do!


Stacy's thoughts on Arts in Education
It breaks my heart to think of the cuts that are being made in Arts Education in the public schools. The arts are a crucial part of a well-rounded education. I loved school...and mostly because of choir and art class! They gave me something to look forward to everyday.

Have you ever felt like you were born in the wrong era? What other period of time do you relate to and why?
I"ve always thought I should have been a "flower child" in the sixties. I love the romance of the new freedom and release of inhibition. I also love the music!
 
Your thoughts on Carol Channing (All my blogs focus on Carol Channing’s Foundation For The Arts)
I love Carol Channing. Who doesn't? I saw her in "Mame" and thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I’m campaigning for Carol Channing to receive the 2012 Kennedy Center Honor in 2012. If you agree that she should receive this honor, can you say why you think this should happen
 Carol Channing hasn't received the Kennedy Center Honor???? What's wrong with this picture????
 
Most recent appearance
 Midtown Jazz at Midday, Feb. 1st, 2012

 
Next appearance
 Iridium Jazz Club, March 13th, 2012, 8:00 and 10:00 (I'll be there!)


What is your biggest success in Show Business
 "A Tribute to Peggy Lee." I love this show with all my heart. 

What was your lowest low and how did you surpass that
 I opened the West Coast Premiere of the Yeston/ Kopit "Phantom" in the role of Christine with COMPLETE laryngitis. I had a one year old and a three year old, both sick with colds, and no understudy. The LA Times killed my performance. I was devastated because I loved the show and the role and still think it's one of the best things I ever did...Oh well. The voice came back in the second week of the show and we developed a running joke within the cast about how one critic said I had the performing ability of a "cheerleader." Each night (during a very successful run!) I led the cast in a cheer backstage before the show.

What one change would you like to see in today’s industry?
I dream of having a run in New York. With the closing of the Algonquin, it seems the audience for live music is growing smaller. I would like to see our audiences growing. Maybe more publicity? Thank you, Richard Skipper!
 
How do you deal with receiving invitations from friends/colleagues to events that are either too many or too costly to attend?
 I try and get to as many shows as possible. My friends and colleagues have been so understanding when I haven't been able to make their shows. I hope they know that I will get there...as soon as I possibly can. I also don't ask questions when people can't get to see my shows. You never know what your friends are going through in their personal lives and finances.
 
If you could not be in show business, what would you do?
 I am a photographer, interior designer, mother...I like to stay busy!

Are you happy at the point you are right now in your career?
 My "Tribute to Miss Peggy Lee" is my favorite show I've ever done and I can't WAIT to do it again. My husband just got a job in New York and I am FINALLY getting to fulfill my life-long dream of living and working in the greatest city in the world. To answer your question, I am quite happy right now in my career. I am pinching myself to make sure it's real.

Do you feel you have achieved what you set out to do?
 I'm just getting started!

What do you do to remain positive when life's hiccups get you down?
 There is a great quote from "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" that I just love. It says something about how it's never too late to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit...start whenever you want. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. It ends with "I hope you live a life that you’re proud of and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again." It helps me to believe and remember that situations aren't permanent.


How on earth do you reach theatregoers now that newspapers are obsolete and there are so many channels on TV you can’t pick the right ones to advertise on and with the web being so hit and miss.
 I'm a BIG fan of Facebook, personal phone calls, and postcards.

 
If you could travel anywhere in the world and spend some time there, where would you choose, and what would you do?
I'm going to Israel next week. I'm spending time in a children's home and seeing the sights that I've dreamed of seeing since I was a child. 

What would you ask God if you could right now?
Expiratio

 
When do you know it’s time for a Stacy Sullivan show?
 Sydney Myer came up to me five years ago after one of my shows and told me, "You HAVE to do a Peggy Lee show." It took me a while to get it together, but he was my angel that night. I needed someone to give me that push and care enough to help me with the right idea for a show.

 
What can we do to get your type of entertainment to new audiences?
Exactly what you're doing, Richard. I also have been so grateful to friends who have shared links for my reviews on their FB pages. The personal connection helps more than I ever dreamed.

Thank you, Stacy, for the gifts you give to the world! I cannot wait to experience Peggy Lee through you on March 13th at The Iridium! 
 
I have an idea!  I want the Broadway community to get behind me!
I want to start an advertising campaign to celebrate Broadway! Very much like the old "I LOVE NEW YORK" campaign. I would LOVE to have  the voices that make up Broadway, past and present in this campaign. It will play nationwide and the slogan is "I am the voice of Broadway...I am proud to be too Broadway!".
This should celebrate ALL that Broadway is! Broadway, are you with me?
 
I am proud to be TOO BROADWAY!
IF you watch SMASH or GLEE, or THE TONY AWARDS,  watch with caution...it may be too Broadway!


THANK YOU TO EVERY PERSON WHO HAS EVER BEEN ON A STAGE and FOR THE GIFTS YOU HAVE GIVEN and GIVE TO THE WORLD!

NO COPY WRITE INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY! 
Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!
Follow me on Twitter If you've seen one of my appearances/shows, add your thoughts to my guestbook at www.RichardSkipper.com 

Tomorrow's's blog will be... THE BROADWAY MUSICALS OF 1946!

Thank you, to all the mentioned in this blog!
  Here's to an INCREDIBLE today  for ALL...with NO challenges!


Now, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TODAY!

 Become a Facebook friend of mine!
Please contribute to the DR. CAROL CHANNING  and HARRY KULLIJIAN FOUNDATION FOR THE ARTS

TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY!
Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com
                                      
Stacy on MYSPACE
 

Follow Stacy on Facebook
 
PLEASE JOIN US TOMORROW NIGHT!
Matsuki Productions, Inc.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11TH @ 7:30 pm (My actual Birthday!)
The Ladies Sing "Happy Birthday" to Richard Skipper
  • It's my 51st Birthday and they'll sing if they want to! I hope you'll join me in celebrating my 51st birthday on Saturday night at Don’t Tell Mama. 7:30pm until 10:30pm
  • STARRING: Diane Findlay, Peggy Herman, Dana Lorge, Sue Matsuki with SPECIAL guests!
·         This will be a benefit for the Dr. Carol Channing Foundation of the Arts in loving memory of her late husband Harry Kullijian
·         www.ChanningArts.org
·         Don't Tell Mama NYC
·         343 W. 46th St., New York, NY 10036
Instead of personal gifts, I would like to raise money for The Dr. Carol Channing Foundation For The Arts (www.ChanningArts.org). If you are unable to join us, please contribute $51.00...or any amount to the Foundation. IF you are unable to contribute at this time, please post something on your wall to bring more attention to our efforts,  please contact me for more information. Richard Skipper 845-365-0720

Comments