Happy April Fool's Day!

"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."-James B. Conant

Hey there Everyone!
It's April Fool's Day. Author Victoria Moran says that if every day was so designated, we'd all feel a whole lot younger, so I'm going to follow her lead and I am assigning to April the duel keynotes of lightness and humor as suggested to me by Victoria,
Humor is good medicine. A big shout out to two of my favorite STARS!
They share a birthday today: Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds! I love them both! From Tammy to Liberace's mother and all stuff in between, I am thrilled that Debbie is still working.

1950 - Costars Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds celebrate their birthday on the set of Two Weeks With Love (1950). MGM Studios

This year, so far, for me, is the year about finding myself. 
I do have a game plan that keeps getting off course, however. This winter took away any sense of motivation.
But now, that spring and great weather is on the horizon, I am more determined than ever to stay focused and on course. So far this year has been going well.  I desire to make this year a little more structured then last year. 
 
Not in a "at this min I need to do this", but more everyday we need to get some stuff done for the house, blog, do some writing and do something fun.  Last year I spent very little time in the yard and that was not great, but I felt like I just kinda let the year go by and spent too much time writing blogs and being on Facebook, ... So this spring/summer I desire to do more outings. You'll see my progress in these blogs, but today is only the first day of April! Notice how all the rules begin with YOU. 
It is not an audience's job to get educated. They are there to be entertained. 

I write a lot about showing respect for artists and also knowing one's audience; however, I think it will take effort to make more people see it that way in our present environment. 

I am sure there are many who do, including myself. I give a great deal of thought and positive support to my fellow entertainers. Click HERE to see what Will Wheaton has to say about bullying. 
I ask that ALL who read this will make this your goal for April.Start by going to Hedda Lettuce's art exhibit at East of Eighth!

On the 12th, if you are in Rockland County. I'll be appearing at the Nyack Center. 
 April 12
7pm
  
NYACK CENTER,
VCS PRESENTS LGBT* COMEDY CABARET WITH JESSICA KIRSON HOSTED BY RICHARD SKIPPER
Doors open at 6:30 pm | Show at 7:00 pm, TICKETS: $25 in advance | $30 at the door To purchase tickets in advance, please call 845.634.5729 x307 or buy online- click here. Jessica Kirson's unique style and captivating stage presence captures the attention of audiences everywhere she performs. Her wide variety of characters brings a diverse energy to her routine. www.jessicakirson.com

If you are in Manhattan,
Jesse Luttrell
 go see BAWDY!  
 New York's BIGGEST Little Vaudeville Jesse Luttrell's WILDLY successful BAWDY runs monthly at The Triad Theatre, and brings together cabaret, drag, and comedy performers of all classifications and orders in a tasteful celebration of adult variety paying homage to vaudeville, burlesque, and the hit television variety shows of the 50's and 60's at Stage 72 at THE TRIAD, 158 w72nd 2nd floor (above Sevens Turkish Grill) half a block from the 1,2,3 train between Amsterdam and Columbus The Triad has a 2 drink minimum and they only accept cash for drinks (there are ATMs nearby) BAWDY IS A SELL OUT SHOW SO ADVANCED SEATING IS HIGHLY
Bawdy with Jesse Luttrell.
RECOMMENDED
: A Limited number of seats are sometimes available at the door the night of the show but are on a first come first serve basis and are $35 (cash only) regardless of which section is available.

Forbidden Broadway alum Karen Wilder will be appearing with another Forbidden Broadway alum Fred Barton on the piano... at The Triad (where Forbidden Broadway originated) Burlesque guests are Poppy Tart and Grace Gotham. www.BawdyShow.com advance tickets: $24, $29 for premium  
All a girl really wants is for one guy to prove to her that they are not all the same. -Marilyn Monroe

 "The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected." - Will Rogers  

I find inspiration constantly and in the strangest places. 
Inspiration comes from books, film, conversations I have with others, songs, teachers: past, present, and future. I got my inspiration for my blog today from a Facebook posting from my dear friend Stephen Mosher asking for favorite quotes from Steel Magnolias
 What is it about that film that grabs so many?
 
Long before the movie, I saw the play when it opened at the Lucille Lortell Theatre off-Broadway in the summer of 1987.   
Steel Magnolias, of course, is a comedy–drama play about the bond among a group of Southern women in northwest Louisiana. Written by Robert Harling, based on his experience with his sister's death. The title suggests the "female characters are as delicate as magnolias but as tough as steel". The magnolia specifically references a magnolia tree they are arguing about at the beginning. Growing up in South Carolina, I have seen my fair share of "steel magnolias", my mom being one! When I saw the play, it evoked memories of Saturday afternoons when my mom went to my Aunt Corlous' Beauty Shop in Aynor, South Carolina.
My Aunt Corlous and Aunt Wanda were the only two beauticians and it was exactly like Truvy's!

The thing I remember most from the play is Constance Shulman as Annelle. To this day, I don't think anyone has made me laugh as much in the theatre.

 Undeniably one of the most memorable movies of the 80s, Steel Magnolias taught us what it meant to have an unbreakable bond.
The 1989 film adaptation of the esteemed stage play brought together some of Hollywood’s biggest A-listers—from country legend Dolly Parton to then-newcomer Julia Roberts. It was recently remade with Queen Latifah and Phylicia Rashad. It also is a very popular play and is being done somewhere in the world every day.
I got to fantasizing about an all male cast (for April Fool's!) Here is my fantasy cast!
Announced today! Steel Magnolias is coming to Broadway with an all Male Cast! Zachary Levi as M'Lynn, Sebastion Stan as Shelby, Santino Fontana as Clairee, Billy Magnussen as Ouiser, Matt Doyle as Truvy, Billy Porter as Annelle!

There's so much static electricity in this room, I pick up everything but boys and money. -Truvy, Steel Magnolias


Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion. -Truvy, Steel Magnolias

Ouiser could never stay mad at me; she worships the quicksand I walk on. -Clairee Belcher, Steel Magnolias

Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it is marchin' across your face. -Truvy. Steel Magnolias

Ouiser, you sound almost chipper. What happened today - you run over a small child or something?   -Clairee Belcher, Steel Magnolias
  
 In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels so good, I buy a size eight. -Truvy, Steel Magnolias
 


Pink is my signature color.-Shelby, Steel Magnolias

 M'Lynn: I'm fine! I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can't! She never could! Oh God! 
I am so mad I don't know what to do! I wanna know why! 
I wanna know *why* Shelby's life is over! I wanna know how that baby will
ever know how wonderful his mother was! 
Will he ever know what she went through for him! Oh God,  I wanna know "why"? 
"Why"? Lord, I wish I could understand![in a firm tone] 

M'Lynn: No! No! No! It's not supposed to happen this way! I'm supposed to go first. 
I've always been ready to go first! I-I don't think I can take this! I-I don't think I can take this! I-I just wanna hit somebody 'til they feel as bad as I do! I just wanna hit something! I wanna hit it hard! [continues sobbing]
 Clairee: Here!

[grabs Ouiser by the shoulder and positions her in front of M'Lynn]
 
Clairee: Hit this! Go ahead M'Lynn, slap her! 
Ouiser Boudreaux: [taken aback and confused] Are you crazy? 
Clairee: Hit her! 
Ouiser Boudreaux: Are you *high*, Clairee?
Truvy: [in a frightened tone] Clairee, have you lost your mind? 
Clairee: We'll sell t-shirts sayin' "I SLAPPED OUISER BOUDREAUX!" Hit her! 
Annelle: [in a scared tone] Ms. Clairee, enough! 
Clairee: Ouiser, this is your chance to do something for your fellow man! Knock her lights out, M'Lynn! 
Ouiser Boudreaux: [snatches away] Let go o' me! 
Clairee: M'Lynn, you just missed the chance of a lifetime! 
Half o' Chiquapin Parish'd give their eye teeth to take a whack at Ouiser!
(Taken from the screenplay of Steel Magnolias)
Thanks for the laughs!


"For whatever we lose (like a you or a me),
It's always ourselves we find in the sea."
e.e.cummings

On a sad note, I just read that Marc Platt has died at the age of 100.
I met him a few times and he was always wonderful to me.
What a wonderful full life he led. Sadly, we will not hear about it on the news tonight, although we WILL hear ad nauseam about Gwyneth Paltrow's "conscious uncoupling" and how difficult it is to be a movie star and a mother.
Marcel LePlat (December 2, 1913 – March 29, 2014), known professionally as Marc Platt, was an American ballet dancer, musical theatre performer, and actor. He was best known for his portrayal of Daniel Pontipee, one of the seven brothers in the film Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Seven Brides for Sven Brothers cast (L-R): Tommy Rall [Frank], Matt Mattox [Caleb], Russ Tamblyn [Gideon], Howard Keel [Adam],
Marc Platt [Daniel], Jeff Richards [Benjamin], Jacques d'Amboise [Ephraim]
Brides (L-R): Betty Carr [Sarah], Ruta Kilmonis [Ruth], Nancy Kilgas [Alice], Jane Powell [Milly],
Norma Doggett [Martha], Julie Newmeyer [Dorcas], Virginia Gibson [Liza]
Born Marcel LePlat in Pasadena, California, he was one of the original members of the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo, performing under the name Platoff. While with the company, Platt choreographed Ghost Town (1939), set to music by Richard Rodgers.

Platt danced the role of Chalmers/Dream Curly in the original 1943 Broadway production of Oklahoma!. Rest in peace, Marc!

Let's start celebrating artists again rather than tearing them down.

Thank you ALL of the artists mentioned in this blog for the gifts you have given to the world and continue to give! 

With grateful XOXOXs ,



Richard Skipper Celebrates Carole Demas at Pier701 in Piermont NY on April 5th with all star cast.  




Check out my site celebrating the FIRST Fifty years of  Hello, Dolly!



I desire this to be a definitive account of Hello, Dolly!  
If any of you reading this have appeared in any production of Dolly, I'm interested in speaking with you!

If you have anything to add or share, please contact me at Richard@RichardSkipper.com.

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!



Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!    
              




Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Richard Skipper discusses bullying in media w/ Jeffrey Gurian April 25th at The Spiral Theatre, NYC  RESERVATIONS A MUST! 



                                                                Keeping Entertainment ALIVE!
                                                                   Richard Skipper Celebrates

TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY










Comments