Babysitting People Who Act Like Children


Russ Woolley, Peggy Eason, Sue Matsuki: You Gotta Have Friends!
The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-Coco Chanel

Happy July 23rd, 2017!
July 23 is the 204th day of the year . There are 161 days remaining until the end of the year. Once again, the title of my blog today, comes from one of my blogs.
As I sat down to begin today's blog, I was listening to Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (ORIGINAL CAST
RECORDING). It opened on Broadway on March 1st, 1979 at The Uris Theater, now the Gershwin. At the time of it's opening, I was living in Conway, South Carolina and in my last year of high  school. My horoscope tells me today that if I can tune into that song on the cosmic radio, I'll find harmony and understanding. I'm finding that to be true in ALL aspects of my life It goes on to tell me that this week is about the information I'm receiving from dreams and psychic visions.
It was still on Broadway when I arrived in New York five months later and was a major hit. I still remember vividly the marquees and the TV ads. It is still a regret of mine that I did not see it at the time. There were several reasons at the time. The first was financial. When I arrived in NY on August 5th, 1979, I had $500.00 in my pocket!
I was very frugal in terms of getting by. I got my first job (as a Wall Street messenger) my first full day in New York (August 6th) for $6.00 an hour. I still had to be frugal!
The second reason was the subject matter!
However, as time has moved on, it truly is one of my favorite scores.
This might come as a surprise to all of my friends who know me, but I would LOVE to play Sweeney some day! Believe it or not, it is one of my bucket items.
Warren Schein, Sarah Rice, David Sabella, Richard Skipper, Sharon McNight, Producer Russ Woolley. (Photo by Maryann Lopinto RSC June 18th, 2017)
Ken Billington
Also, I know two of the key players, Ken Billington, the lighting designer, and, most especially, Sarah Rice, who has become a very dear friend. As a matter of fact, Sarah was one of the featured guests in my Richard Skipper Celebrates show on June 18th recently.

July 23rd, 1979...It was a Monday. I know that I was working at Grand Strand Amusement Park. In 13 days, I would be moving to New York and my life would be forever changed. I just got goosebumps as I typed those words.
I had NO IDEA what the world
would hold for me. I still don't. My dad doubted my abilities. Every time I mentioned my eminent departure, rather than allowing me to celebrate my excitement, he would laugh and say I would be back in three weeks. In 13 days, it will mark 37 years! I pinch myself to this day that that happened.

Carol Channing performing in the Carter White House

Those born on this date are under the sign of Leo. They include detective novelist Raymond Chandler in 1888; Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie in 1892; U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy in 1936 (age 81); actor Ronny Cox in 1938 (age 79); talk show host Don Imus in 1940 (age 77);
The sun is now in Leo
drummer Dino Danelli (The Rascals) in 1944 (age 73); drummer John Rutsey (Rush) in 1952; musician David Essex in 1947 (age 70); actor Edie McClurg in 1951 (age 66); Dutch film director Theo van Gogh in 1957; actor Woody Harrelson in 1961 (age 56); actor Eriq La Salle in 1962 (age 55); actor Philip Seymour Hoffman in 1967; guitarist Slash in 1965 (age 52); singer Alison Krauss in 1971 (age 46); actor Marlon Wayans in 1972 (age 45); former White House intern Monica Lewinsky in 1973 (age 44); singer Michelle Williams in 1980 (age 37); actor Daniel Radcliffe in 1989 (age 28); country singer Danielle Bradbery in 1996 (age 21).
 Philip Seymour Hoffman ~ Born: July 23, 1967, Fairport, NY
Died: February 2, 2014, West Village, New York City, NY.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Bad Girls by Donna Summer. In UK Are 'Friends' Electric by Tubeway Army was in the top 5 hits. The Amityville Horror, directed by Stuart Rosenberg, was one of the most Sophie's Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
viewed movies released in 1979.
Number One for this week in 1981 was Air Supply with The One That You Love .

My horoscope is telling me that a friend or relative may be acting exceptionally nice, but I can’t help but wonder if there is more going on than meets my eye. Hmmm? I wonder who that could be!
I'm listening and making a LOT of changes in my life. The 'WORD for the day is INSIGHTFULNESS.  Think of this word as your mantra for the day. First apply the word to yourself, THEN apply this word to EVERYONE YOU meet. Think of this word as you respond to EVERY POST you see throughout the day. The 'word 'for TODAY is INSIGHTFULNESS . Please pay it forward...

Thank you, Kevin Scott Hall for posting this on Facebook today: 
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry in 1923.
I Know I Am But Summer to Your Heart
Edna Saint Vincent Millay (1892-1950)



The young artist of today need no longer say "I am a painter', or "a poet", or "a dancer." He is simply an "artist". All of life will be open to him.
-Allan Kaprow

Thousands flooded the streets of Berlin for the annual Christopher Street Day parade in support of LGBT rights  


Richard's Suggestions: Life IS a cabaret 

Ann Kittredge is returning to Don't Tell Mama next Saturday, July 29 at 4pm. Go on over and get out of the heat!!!! :)

Peter Filichia gave Josh Ellis a wonderful opportunity to talk about the making of two-and-a-half legendary Broadway cast recordings.
Specifically: the original Broadway cast recording of 42ND STREET (1980), Yul Brynner and Constance Towers's THE KING AND I (1977) and SONDHEIM: A MUSICAL TRIBUTE (1973).  The article explains the half.

http://www.masterworksbroadway.com/blog/joshua-ellis-call-publicist-good-stories-peter-filichia/
 As of this blog, Only 7 seats remain for Josh's show at United Solo Theatre Festival at Theatre Row on Thursday, September 14 at 9 PM.
Stacy Sullivan: Photo by Michael Lee Stever.

  Stacy Sullivan is headed into the studio to record her 7th album...updates soon! MUCH SUCCESS, Stacy!

Encouraged by many, Stephen Mosher has written a memoir that he has designed to be like a box of candy.

If you are out in LA: TONIGHTS THE NIGHT,
6 p.m social and silent auction...
7 p.m. FRITZ COLEMAN!!!
Benefit for
Actor and Others for Animals
At the historic El Portal Theater in NOHO.

  
BOBBY BELFRY with

THE KEVIN LUTKE TRIO make their NYC Debut at The Metropolitan Room, August 3, 2017 at 7PM

Multi-Award winning singer/songwriter, Bobby Belfry, along with world-class guitarist, Kevin Lutke and his Trio, have created a new set of socio-political jazz/folk/rock inspired contemporary pop music that has been burning up The Hudson Valley, with concerts at The Illuminated Concert Festival in Newburgh, Maureen’s Jazz Cellar in Nyack, and the Fanwood
Concert Series.

The music is uplifting and empowered with a bit of humor, which is exactly what the arts need in this tumultuous political climate of our times.

Mr. Belfry has performed at The White House, The Kennedy Center, and Lincoln Center, in addition to countless theatres and nightclubs throughout the country and abroad. He is a featured artist in the music documentary, “This Time” and has 3 albums of music on iTunes and several streaming sites. “Bobby Belfry is one to savor, embrace, and lend the hand of fame to,” said BILLBOARD Magazine.

Mr. Lutke has a Masters Degree in Jazz Guitar and composition from NYU, and has performed with countless jazz luminaries throughout his career. Kevin also has 3 CDs of original and cover music available on iTunes and other streaming services.

The group is rounded out by Jay Brunka on upright bass, and John Romagnoli on percussion.

The concert at The Metropolitan Room, on August 3, at 7pm, is the group’s NYC debut. There is a $15 Cover, $25 food/drink minimum
Please purchase tickets online at www.metropolitanroom.com

A new album of the music performed this evening is in the works on the DEKO Music Label.

This is something I wish I could go to! Oz, The National Convention.
The wonders of the White City... The fun of the Midwest Oz Festival... Find your heart’s desire in Chicago—the inspiration for Oz.

Thursday: Kick off the weekend with a party at the home of Oz collector and convention co-chairman Walter Krueger.

Friday: From a Kansas twister to the Nome King’s mines, Friday morning is filled with farm fun. In the afternoon, explore animated Oz films, followed by an evening fashion show of famous Dorothys and a live Oz music program.

Saturday: Saturday emphasizes Chicago’s many Oz connections with programs, speakers, films, and performances.

The afternoon Oz Auction will be a highlight for collectors.
And yes, there will be cake: it’s the International Wizard of Oz Club’s 60th anniversary!

Sunday: After breakfast, enjoy the final day of the Midwest Oz Fest in neighboring Tinley Park. Join Oz friends for a bring-your-box-lunch open house at Walter Krueger’s. Optionally, sign up for a small-group Oz tour into Chicago, or head out to explore on your own. 

Regroup for dinner at the Hyde Park home of Carrie Hedges as they honor her tenure as Oz Club president.

For complete information, visit OzConvention.org.


There is also the Midwest Wizard of Oz Festival

August 4th-6th Tinley Park Illinois.

Visit Karen Armstrong Owens' sales booth at the festival - Storyland Collectables..... new and old Wizard of Oz items.
IWOC National Convention August 3-6th Orland Park, Illinois



 Leanne Borghesi at Feinstein's-What Is This Swing Called LOVE?

San Francisco!! Leanne is so jazzed, she could kiss ya! Celebrate the summer of LOVE together!
Tickets are now on sale for her upcoming cabaret

show- Leanne Borghesi Live at San Francisco's Feinstein's at the Nikko What Is This Swing Called L-O-V-E? Thursday August 3, 8pm.

Join Leanne for an intimate evening at the "Love Lounge" with a hot, snazzy swinging band! The Roger Glenn Trio (Ross Gualco piano, Ed Margolin drums, Roger Glenn woodwinds) and siren Amanda Wu on the Bass!
It is going to be a swingin' night of good music and good vibes...an intimate affair...meow!

www.LeanneBorghesil.com
Tickets: goldstar.com, www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1492871/tfly


with Rita McKenzie: Richard Skipper Celebrates Hello, Dolly! January 16th, 2017
The secret of change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old but on building the new. - Socrates

I'm throwing back the curtain and showing my followers the little man behind the Wizard who is always trying to put forth a positive image of a man. 

Let's Be Friends! I promise you a great experience!


You have the power to change anything, because you are the one who chooses your thoughts and feels your feelings.

Here are a Few Testimonials for Richard Skipper Celebrates: Next One September 10th 1PM Laurie Beechman Theater: Reserve HERE:
w/Ann Dawson, Emily McNamara, Ben Rimalower... AND a Beloved Cabaret Mystery Guest


with Wayne Gmitter, the late great Peggy Herman, Tommy Tune, and Patrick Rinn (Peggy Herman CD Release Party Feinstein's St. Regis 2015)
Anyone who has an opportunity to see Richard Skipper's cabaret shows should BY ALL MEANS doso! They're sensational! Great entertainers, wonderful music, lots of laughs, just the best way to spend an afternoon! I just cannot wait for the next show because I will DEFINITELY be in the audience (quietly singing along)!Arlene Jacks, New York, NY 
with Ellen Bullinger and Carol Siwek
I was most impressed with the balance and variety of Richard Skipper Celebrates... on June 18th.  I love hearing Sarah Rice, and her Bourne-Jones beauty is a joy on top of that.  That segment was really top notch.
David Sabella was so moving when he was talking about his children, and the Sondheim montage was unexpectedly thrilling.  I liked the little table where I was sitting because I could watch Richard Skipper's reactions to everything, and that just added to the joy.  I don't think a smile left my face for the entire show.  Good for Richard!!!!
Jacqueline Parker, NYC


I have had the great pleasure of seeing the show the talented Richard Skipper presents at the Laurie
Ruby Rakos, Carole Demas, Diane J. Findlay, Sue Matsuki, KT Sullivan, and producer Russ Woolley
Beechman. It was a delightful afternoon with so much talent brought to the stage and especially, Leslie Orofino, on the show that I attended. Richard is not only a very talented performer himself, but his knowledge of the history of the stage world is outstanding. His memories and stories recalled are a gift to us all. His manner and style of interviewing is so wise, warm and professional. I am so overjoyed to see him interview many legends and he embraces them with such care and respect. He is the ultimate showman.

Pamala Hall,Lionhawk Productions Weston, Ct.




Sit Back! A New News Cycle Is About to Begin!


Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for showing me that it is up to ME to lead by example!

With grateful XOXOXs , 
 



Please LIKE (if you do!) and SHARE!


NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!  
  

Keeping America great through Art!     


Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com 






Comments